Select Page
Contempt case: Supreme Court imposes fine of Rs 1 on Prashant Bhushan, 3 months in jail for not paying

Contempt case: Supreme Court imposes fine of Rs 1 on Prashant Bhushan, 3 months in jail for not paying

Prashant Bhushan Contempt Cases: The Supreme Court has given its verdict today in contempt case against senior advocate Prashant Bhushan. The Supreme Court imposed a monetary penalty of Rs 1 on lawyer Prashant Bhushan, who was convicted of contempt of court for his two tweets against the judiciary. Also, the court said that if they do not deposit this amount, they can be sentenced to three months in jail. Earlier, the Supreme Court on Tuesday reserved its decision on the sentence of Prashant Bhushan. Prashant Bhushan, who had already refused to apologize, was given 30 minutes by the court and asked to reconsider his stand. But even after this, the idea of ​​Bhushan did not change, the court even asked what is wrong in apologizing, is this a bad word? A bench headed by Justice Arun Mishra pronounced its judgment against Bhushan.

While giving a judgment in the contempt case, the Supreme Court said that if Prashant Bhushan does not pay a fine of Rupees 1, he may face imprisonment for three months or will be barred from speaking for three years.

On August 25, senior advocate Rajeev Dhawan requested the apex court after Prashant Bhushan rejected the court’s suggestion of an apology and that the court should give a message like ‘Statesman’ and not make Bhushan a martyr. Justice Mishra, presiding over the bench of three judges, reserved his judgment that day on the issue of punishment. Justice Mishra is retiring on September 2.

On August 14, the Supreme Court held Bhushan guilty of criminal contempt for his two derogatory tweets against the judiciary. Dhawan, appearing for Bhushan, had requested the apex court, citing Bhushan’s supplementary statement, to withdraw his August 14 verdict and not undergo any punishment. He requested that not only this matter should be closed, but also the dispute should be ended.

Attorney General appealed for forgiveness
At the same time, Attorney General K.K. K Venugopal requested the court to forgive Bhushan with the message that he should not repeat such act in future. The bench also consists of Justice BR Gavai and Justice Krishna Murari. The bench had also given Bhushan 30 minutes to reconsider his attitude of not apologizing for the tweets.

Bhushan mentioned Gandhi’s statement in court
Prashant Bhushan told the Supreme Court that he was pained that he was ‘greatly misunderstood’ in the case. He said ‘I have tried to discharge my ultimate duty through tweet’. Quoting Mahatma Gandhi, Prashant Bhushan had said, ‘I do not beg for mercy nor do I appeal to you for generosity. I have come here to execute any punishment, which will be given to me for what the court considers a crime, while it is not my fault in my eyes, but my highest duty towards the citizens. ‘

When is the matter related to tweet
Significantly, the Supreme Court convicted him on August 14 for the comments made on Twitter on the judges. Prashant Bhushan made a comment on the six-year functioning of the judiciary on June 27, while on June 22, the current Chief Justice of the apex court S.K. a. Another comment was made about Bobde and four former Chief Justices.

Supreme Court Contempt Case: The government showed softness, said – Prashant Bhushan should be given a warning

Supreme Court Contempt Case: The government showed softness, said – Prashant Bhushan should be given a warning

The government has shown leniency against Chief Justice of India (CJI) SA Bobde and Prashant Bhushan facing the Awmana case over the tweet on the Supreme Court. On Bhushan, who refused to apologize to the Supreme Court, Attorney General KK Venugopal requested the Supreme Court to leave Bhushan with a warning.

The Attorney General said in the Supreme Court, “He should be warned and left, let us not do so again in future.” The Supreme Court asked Venugopal, “Tell me what to do. We expected a different statement. “The government’s counsel said that many current and former judges have commented on corruption in higher judiciary.

The government’s biggest lawyer said, “These statements must have been to tell the court that you should look into these cases and rectify them.” Venugopal said that Bhushan should be warned and released, not punished.

Earlier, Prashant Bhushan refused to apologize to the Supreme Court and said that it was his view and he stood by it. Advocate Prashant Bhushan, who was found guilty of contempt for his tweet against the judges, filed his reply in the Supreme Court on Monday.

Prashant Bhushan said, ‘My statement was goodwill. If I withdraw my statement before this court, I believe that if I offer an honest apology, I would be in contempt for my conscience and the institution in which I hold supreme faith. ‘

In fact, the Supreme Court had on Thursday asked social activist and senior advocate Prashant Bhushan to reconsider his unconfirmed statement about the contempt of court tweet and for this he has been given two to three days. The court granted the extension till 24 August.

Significantly, the Supreme Court convicted him on August 14 for the comments made on Twitter on the judges. Prashant Bhushan made a comment on the six-year functioning of the judiciary on June 27, while on June 22, the present Chief Justice of the apex court S.K. a. Another comment was made about Bobde and four former Chief Justices.

Rafale: PM compromised national security, say ex-BJP ministers

Rafale: PM compromised national security, say ex-BJP ministers

New Delhi [India],: Former Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leaders Yashwant Sinha and Arun Shourie along with advocate-activist Prashant Bhushan on Tuesday accused Prime Minister Narendra Modi of violating the Defence Procurement Procedures (DPP) while finalizing the high-profile Rafale deal.
Alleging Prime Narendra Modi’s “personal culpability” in the Rafale jet purchases, the trio asserted that the former bypassed every rule of defense procurement and “compromised national security”.
“National security has been compromised by the Prime Minister and every rule of the defence procurement was flouted to unilaterally reduce the number of planes from 126 to 36. As per DPP, only the service headquarters can decide on the numbers,” said Shourie, while addressing a press conference here.
Shourie said that in just two days Prime Minister Modi “completely overturned” a process that was in progress for years while adding that the latter had “absolutely no authority to do so.”
He further alleged that the Central government had “spun a web of lies to protect the Prime Minister’s culpability in the connection”.
Echoing similar sentiments, Bhushan further underscored that the government is also forcing the serving officials of the Indian Air Force to defend the purchase of Rafale fighter jets.
The leaders even questioned the decision of choosing Reliance Defence Ltd, which has “no experience” in manufacturing aircraft over Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL).
Initially in 2012, during the United Progressive Alliance’s (UPA) tenure, India planned to buy 18 off-the-shelf jets from France, with 108 others to be assembled in the country by the state-run aerospace and defence company HAL.
The BJP-led government scrapped the UPA’s plan in 2015 and announced that it would buy 36 “ready-to-fly” Rafale jets instead of seeking a technology transfer from France’s Dassault Aviation and making the aircraft in India. (ANI)