Select Page
Shinzo Abe’s assistant and spokesman Yoshide Suga may be the new Prime Minister of Japan

Shinzo Abe’s assistant and spokesman Yoshide Suga may be the new Prime Minister of Japan

Japan’s Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshide Suga may be the successor of the country’s outgoing Prime Minister Shinzo Abe. Yoshide has been Abe’s longtime assistant and is also seen with him at his daily press conference. Yoshide is emerging as an important contender for the post of prime minister before the internal voting of the ruling Liberal Democratic Party.

Party members Suga has not been associated with any faction in the party. He is seen as someone who can advance Abe’s policies. These include Japan’s security alliance with the US, dealing with the Corona virus epidemic and strengthening the economy.

When asked about the important policies of the post-Abe government, Suga mentioned that dealing with the corona virus epidemic would be the biggest challenge. Suga is expected to announce his candidature and important policies on Wednesday. However, a day earlier, Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida and former Defense Minister Shigeru Ishiba have expressed their intention for the post of Prime Minister.

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has resigned from the post a few days ago due to health reasons. The ruling party met on Tuesday and it was decided that on September 14, there will be a vote for the party’s leader and then to elect the Prime Minister.

Although anti-Abe is not popular among Ishiba party MPs regarding his stand, but he has been popular in opinion polls. Soft-spoken Suga has been the longest-serving chief cabinet secretary in Japan. He has been Abe’s policy coordinator and advisor.

He has been the pivot of the centralized powers of the Prime Minister’s Office, which insisted on implementing policies on the naukaras. It is worth mentioning that Suga also faced protests last year due to his spiteful reaction. In fact, a newspaper reporter had asked him tough questions on criticism of Abe’s policies.

US wants NATO-like alliance with India-Australia-Japan to respond to China:

US wants NATO-like alliance with India-Australia-Japan to respond to China:

The United States wants to formalize its close defense relations with countries in the Indo-Pacific region. With the aim of competing with China, India wants to form an alliance with Japan and Australia, just like the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO). US Deputy Secretary of State Stephen Bezgan said this on Monday. He said that the aim of the US is to form groups with four countries and others in the region to work together to respond to the potential challenge from China.

Begun said this while speaking with former Ambassador of India Richard Verma in an online discussion organized by the US-India Strategic Partnership Forum.

Begun said, “The Indian Ocean region lacks really strong multilateral structures. They have nothing to do with the fate of NATO or the European Union. The strongest institutions in Asia are often not. I think the lack of inclusiveness Because of that. There is certainly a possibility of formalizing such a structure. ” He said, “Remember, even NATO started with relatively modest expectations and many countries (initially) chose neutrality over NATO membership.”

However, he warned that the US would pursue its ambitions for Pacific NATO. Claiming such an alliance, he said, “This will only happen when other countries are committed to it like the US.” The four countries are expected to meet in Delhi in the winter months.

India is clearly indicating its intention to invite Australia to participate in the Malabar Naval Exercise, which would be a tremendous step to ensure sea safety in the Indo-Pacific. Naval exercises have been conducted by the US and India since 1992, mostly in the Bay of Bengal. Japan has been participating in this exercise since 2015.

The report said that clashes between Chinese and Indian troops in the Galvan Valley in June made India more willing to withdraw to Australia for the Malabar naval exercise. Although Japan and the US have already been invited to participate in this year’s exercise, due to COVID-19, India has not yet given a formal invitation to Australia.

Trump expressed grief over Shinzo Abe’s resignation due to illness

Trump expressed grief over Shinzo Abe’s resignation due to illness

US President Donald Trump has expressed grief over Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe leaving his post in the wake of health-related problems. Trump told reporters on Friday, “I would like to give my highest honor to the Prime Minister of Japan and my friend Shinzo Abe.” We have close friendship and I am distressed by the circumstances in which he resigned. He loves his country very much and under the circumstances in which he has submitted his resignation, I cannot imagine it now. He is a great man and I give him my most respect. ”

Abe has been troubled by intestinal disease for a long time and in view of this, he submitted his resignation on Friday. This is the second time Mr. Abe, sixty-five year old, has resigned from his post due to health reasons.

Earlier in the year 2007, he resigned due to health reasons. In the 2012 election, Abe returned to power again with an overwhelming majority.

Now, China orders closure of US consulate in Chengdu

Now, China orders closure of US consulate in Chengdu

China on Friday ordered the closure of the US consulate in Chengdu, days after United States ordered China to shut its Houston, Texas consulate.

 

On Thursday, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Thursday called on “free nations” to triumph over the threat of what he said was a “new tyranny” from China.

“Today, China is increasingly authoritarian at home, and more aggressive in its hostility to freedom everywhere else,” Pompeo said. “If the free world doesn’t change Communist China, Communist China will change us,” he said at the Richard Nixon Presidential Library in Yorba Linda, California.

The speech marked a new level in the hard-line approach toward China by President Donald Trump’s administration.

On Wednesday, Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin called the consulate action an “outrageous and unjustified move which will sabotage China-US relations.” And on Thursday, he said the charges against the four researchers amounted to “naked political persecution.”

“China will take necessary measures to safeguard Chinese citizens’ safety and legitimate rights,” Wang said.

Oxford University vaccine in human trials from Thursday: UK Health Secretary

Oxford University vaccine in human trials from Thursday: UK Health Secretary

The UK government on Tuesday announced that the human trial of a potential COVID-19 candidate vaccine being developed by researchers at University of Oxford will begin from Thursday.

Scientists at the University of Oxford last week promised a super-fast vaccine during a virtual press conference, saying the vaccine will be available by September. According to lead researcher Professor Sarah Gilbert, their ”ChAdOx1” vaccine can work against the coronavirus called SARS-CoV-2.

UK Health Secretary Matt Hancock, during the daily press conference at 10 Downing Street, said the government will provide 20 million pounds to the Oxford research team to help fund their clinical trials, with a further 22.5 million pounds for researchers at Imperial College London, reports The Independent.

“The team have accelerated that trials process, working with the regulator the MHRA (Medicines and Healthcare Regulatory Agency), who have been brilliant. As a result, I can announce that the vaccine from the Oxford project will be trialled in people from this Thursday,” said Hancock.

In normal course of time, a vaccine takes anytime between 12-18 months.

What probably separates ChAdOx1 – known as recombinant viral vector vaccine – from the rest is the time it promises to take in order to deliver mass quantities.

Professor Andrew Pollard, a member of the Oxford team, told Sky News: “If you had a sailing wind and absolutely nothing goes wrong in all of that complex technical process and you have all the facilities available, you could have millions of doses by the autumn of this year”.

In late March, Professor Gilbert received 2.2 million pounds as funding from the UK government for vaccine development and trials.

Researchers enrolled over 500 healthy volunteers to test if their vaccine can prevent the novel coronavirus.

The vaccine is an adenovirus vaccine vector and was developed at Oxford”s Jenner Institute. Adenoviral vectors are a very well-studied vaccine type, having been used safely in thousands of participants, from 1 week to 90 years of age, in vaccines targeting over 10 different diseases.

According to Hancock, in the long run “the best way to defeat coronavirus is through a vaccine”.

“This is a new disease, this is uncertain science, but I”m certain that we will throw everything we”ve got at developing a vaccine,” he added.

The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) also pitched for the Oxford vaccine on Sunday, saying ”ChAdOX1” is the frontrunner in the race to take on the deadly COVID-19 virus.

Trump, who has expressed his disappointment over the handling of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) by China,

Trump, who has expressed his disappointment over the handling of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) by China,

HIGHLIGHTS

  • If they were knowingly responsible then there should be consequences: Trump
  • If sleepy Joe Biden wins, China will own the United States: Trump

US President Donald Trump has warned China of consequences if it was “knowingly responsible” for the spread of the novel coronavirus pandemic.

Trump, who has expressed his disappointment over the handling of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) by China, alleged non-transparency and initial non-cooperation with the US on this issue.

“If they were knowingly responsible, yeah, then there should be consequences,” he told reporters at a White House news conference on Saturday. “You’re talking about, you know, potentially lives like nobody’s seen since 1917.”

Trump said his relationship with China was very good till the time the deadly COVID-19 swept the world.

“The relationship was good when we were signing that, but then, all of a sudden, you hear about this. So, it’s a big difference.

“You know, the question was asked would you be angry at China. Well, the answer very well might be a very resounding, yes, but it depends,” Trump said.

The president underlined that there was a big difference between a mistake that got out of control or something is done deliberately.

“In either event, they should have let us go in. You know, we asked to go in very early and they didn’t want us in. I think they knew it was something bad and I think they were embarrassed,” Trump said.

He claimed that China was pitching for former vice president Joe Biden, who is the presumptive nominee of the Democratic Party for the presidential election.

“If sleepy Joe Biden wins, China will own the United States,” Trump said, adding that his administration had gained billions of dollars from China due to his assertive trade policies.

 

“We had the greatest economy in the world by far. China isn’t even close. Go back two months. And we’re going to keep it that way,” he said.

Trump asserted that Iran was now a much different country than it was before.

“When I first came in, Iran was going to take over the entire Middle East,” he said. “Right now, they just want to survive.”